RSS

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Happy 35th


Today is my 35th birthday; it’s a bittersweet day for me because my father was laid to rest on this day back in 1987. I was unaware of this fact until just a few years ago as my mother felt it best not to tell me. I agree with her decision because of how heavy my heart weighs every year around this time. I feel guilty for celebrating my birthday when I know he’s 6ft under.

Last night I was given words of encouragement from my mentor. He reminded me of where I come from, that my father is shining down on me and would not be happy to know I’m feeling blue. My father was the life of the party. He was a well-known DJ in the UK back in the late 70’s early 80’s. My mother was also a pirate dj for a radio station in Birmingham, UK. So it’s no surprise where my love of music comes from. Music is my heart and soul. I don’t profess to know everything there is about music. I’m eager to learn, and blessed to have people in my life who are willing to teach me. Never in a million years did I imagine I would become friends with “BIG” people in the music industry. People who show me respect and acknowledge my appreciation for the music. I enjoy expressing my opinion about the music via blogging in a polite and respectful way. I don’t know where this blogging thing is taking me, but so far I am enjoying the ride. I give thanks to the people who have inspired, supported and encouraged me through this journey.

Rest in Power Pops, I will no longer mourn your absence. The tears I shed will be joyful. I will celebrate your life through our mutual love of music. I hope I make you proud.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully put. All my best wishes to you and your sister and your entire family on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touching post. Glad that you're able to celebrate now having come to terms with your dad not being here in body. You & your sister look fab and I'm sure he would be proud of his girls :) Hope the day was great...even a celebration weekend!

    ReplyDelete